Instant Coffee. Coffee drinkers the world over cringe at those words and shudder at the thought of drinking it. Although I daresay Starbucks has revolutionized the genre with their line of instant coffee. Here’s some things you can use instant coffee for:
- Add a tablespoon or so to tomato based stews and chili’s to deepen their flavor
- Combine one tablespoon instant coffee with one teaspoon each of paprika, oregano, garlic and cumin. Add two tablespoons oil and mix well. Use as a rub on meat before grilling
- Add one or two tablespoons (to taste) to a pint of good-quality vanilla ice cream. Blend well (you may need to use a mixer) for delicious coffee ice cream
- Make mine a mocha: add a tablespoon to brownies or other chocolate-based desserts
- Mocha Dip Or Spread: Mix some finely ground instant coffee or a little bit of brewed coffee or espresso with one tablespoon of brown sugar into cream cheese
- Start slow with adding coffee to your cooking as it’s flavor is intense.
- It may work better to dissolve the coffee in a bit of hot water before adding so there are no undissolved grounds adding a grainy texture to your cooking.
Some information for this post gleaned from: http://www.sheknows.com/food-and-recipes/articles/810001/cooking-with-coffee and http://www.vanhoutte.com/en-ca/c-the-coffee-blog/coffee-tips/cooking-with-coffee